Saturday 27 April 2013

Separation Anxiety...

Storm and I are both suffering from a little bit of separation anxiety today, even thought we're both right next to each other.

You see, Storm loves her Boy and the Boy loves Storm. The Boy is an eleven year old animal magnet. He adores dogs and dogs, without exception, adore him. He is a natural.

But this weekend, the Boy has gone to his Dad and Storm and I are missing him terribly. I can't tell whether Storm senses that I'm not right or that she just misses the Boy or if it's both but she's a little down today.

She hasn't left my side, she's being incredibly loving to me but seems a little flat with everyone else. She's not sure where he's gone but she's sure she's feeling his absence.

For the nights before the Boy leaves, he sleeps with a towel that then gets put in Storm's crate and she snuffles it and sleeps on it and never ever tries to mouth or chew it. She's had a good sniff around his bedroom today, just in case he was playing hide and seek with her but no, he's not here.

How do changes like this affect dogs I wonder? One moment the Boy is there and then he's gone. And then he comes back. She'll be thrilled to see him and they'll cuddle up together but how does it feel to them? Add in my little slump when he goes and she's got lots of emotions to cope with. Storm, despite her rather harsh name, is a total softie. So am I. So is the Boy. That's why we've all got a little Separation Anxiety today.

My view as I type...



1 comment:

  1. Can identify with this but think from experience with my Guide Dog puppies that they suffer less than we do. When mine go off to Big School I send them with a smelly t shirt that I have slept in for about 2 weeks as a comforter but I need it more than they do!

    ReplyDelete