Monday 15 April 2013

Open Your Heart...

I'm writing this post with a huge smile on my face - today, Storm and I had our first training session with the rather fabulous Sarah Miles and it was just amazing.

Now, as you might know, I've not had Storm long, just six weeks and for almost four of those weeks, she's been in season and on the lead to avoid any unplanned amorous encounters. So I've not worked with her that much and I wasn't sure how she'd react to the sudden freedom in a place that is, frankly, dog heaven.

I shouldn't have doubted my girl, she behaved very well indeed. Within minutes, Sarah had us turning, walking, staying, releasing and recalling across open ground. Later in the session, Storm was leaping across fences, hunting out treats and coming back to me on my whistle from deep in the woods. She was brilliant. I still have a lot to learn but I loved every minute.

Sarah's approach was just wonderful - lots of praise, simple instructions (for Storm and for me!) and plenty of little breaks to stop us from being too overworked. Sarah really was everything I hoped she would be and I can't wait to work with her more over the coming months.

But it was Storm who blew me away. Seeing her in that environment was absolutely fantastic. She looked alive, she looked relaxed and, most importantly to me, she was enjoying herself. She had come home and I'd taken her there. It was almost magical.

Since we've been home this afternoon, she's not left my side and I'm seeing her, and our lives together, in a new light. Who knows what we might be able to achieve together given practice and patience? I remember seeing the inspiring Allen Parton of Hounds For Heroes on TV saying in response to the comment 'I wish I could have a dog as amazing as yours' that actually anyone could and "... all you need to do is open your heart to see what they're capable of." Well, I had that moment today. An amazing, emotional, heart-opening moment.

Thank you Sarah - we'll be doing our homework and we'll see you next week...

...if Storm's recovered by then...


No comments:

Post a Comment