Friday 12 April 2013

A Wet Walk

Well, today's plan for a monster walk wasn't, as it turns out, a very good one. On May 11th, I'm doing the 60k Just Walk It Challenge across the South Downs to raise money for the wonderful Hounds For Heroes so I thought that today we'd head out into the Pang Valley for a longer walk but we were foiled by hail and thunder but mostly by a soggy, hopeless map.

Anyway, Storm had a wonderful time. After three weeks of very restrained walking whilst she was in season for the first (and only!) time, today was much more fun. Lots to sniff, lots to explore, undergrowth to crash through and, best of all in Storm's eyes, huge puddles to leap into.

For me, seeing her enjoying herself was wonderful but Bucklebury Common was a real experience today too. I can't be sure whether it was the menacing weather, the stillness of the trees or the bright wetness of the colours but it was beautiful in a very other-worldly way. I've also never seen lichen dripping from trees in the way it was today.

So, even though the walk didn't go entirely to plan, the outing we had was actually better than I hoped. And now, being home post wash-down (Storm) and shower (me) with the rain still crashing down outside makes me feel very content. Or that might be the cake, who knows.




No comments:

Post a Comment